Congratulations! If you’re thinking of moving your application online, you’ve already made the first step towards a more efficient process. Online is becoming the preferred method to manage application programs. No matter if you manage grants, awards, or scholarships.
Take grants, for example. In a recent study of government grant bodies, we learned that 80% prefer to apply for funding online.
However, moving to a fully online solution is daunting. Especially, if you’ve managed the application and review process the same way for many years. However, here are three easy steps that will ensure a smooth transition:
- Assess your current process and workflows
- Identify what’s essential
- Ask the right questions for your success
1. Assess your current process and workflows
What’s the easiest way to start? Taking a look at what you already have! Putting your process under the microscope will allow you to understand what works well, and what areas need improvement. Take a moment to decide what you’d like to keep, and what you’d want to change.
While you’re evaluating different areas of your program and process, you can also consider the outcome you’re looking to achieve and the overall mission. Ask, ‘what needs to change to streamline this process?’ moreover, ‘what impact does my organisation want to have with this program?’
To start generating ideas, here are a few examples of what a time-consuming and challenging process may include:
- A tedious application process involves a lot of moving parts and a handful of requirements that take time and resources from the applicant. Applicants want a clear, fast, and easy to use a process that allows them to put their best work forward.
- Inaccessibility can cause a problematic review process. With an offline process, third-party reviewers will be unable to efficiently complete their requirements. You’re limiting their ability to communicate effectively and to work from different locations. Reviewers want easy tasks that they can complete wherever, whenever.
- A time-consuming administrative process typically includes redundant tasks and manual document processing. It can also include repetitive motions such as sending follow up emails or reminders. These tasks eat up extra time that you could be using to monitor and improve your programs allowing you to amplify your reach.
2. Identify what’s essential
Now that you’ve pinpointed areas for improvement and have an idea of what you need for a successful application program, you can start taking a look at online solutions, with a wishlist in hand! Getting started isn’t as difficult or expensive as you may think, but it sure can be confusing.
There are a handful of solutions that, on the outside, appear to be very similar. Remember: you have a wish-list, and you know what’s required! This is an excellent opportunity to evaluate different solutions based on what you need, instead of gravitating to the one that touts the most features.
Here are a few time-saving features to consider:
- Automation that saves time, one-time tasks that eliminate redundant data entry, and autosave features all contribute to a better application process. The more natural the application process, the more applications you’ll receive!
- Automated reminder emails contribute to better overall user experience. It can motivate your reviewers to complete their tasks accurately and quickly.
- Also, for yourself? A built-in data management system, a user-friendly interface, and a powerful reporting tool contribute to a better, and more efficient, administrative experience.
- Support resources are vital when moving to a new system. You want to get your team trained up efficiently and effectively and have the ability to reach support resources at the touch of a button. For example, Submit has built-in live chat functionality where you can connect in real-time with one of the highly trained members of the customer success team.
3. Ask the right questions for your success
Once you’ve evaluated your current process and compared various online tools that will help you achieve your mission and program goals, you may be trying to decide which one is the best fit for your organisation. Once you make a decision, however, there’s a lot more that needs doing to get your new application and review process ready to launch.
Additional services such as setup, program build, training, and customer support can ensure the success of your program not only in the first year but for years to come. Setup and program build can help make your job as an administrator easier. Training and customer support will amplify the experience for all your users. Since these are all critical aspects of a successful program, you’ll want to know if the services included, and if not, how much they cost.
Here are a few questions you can ask of a possible vendor:
- Do you help with the setup of my application?
- Is training provided to users? If so, where and how?
- What are your service level agreements?
- Are the above services offered free of charge, or at an additional cost?
Assessing your current application process allows you to ask the right questions when evaluating online solutions. Targeting areas for improvement and setting goals will help you put your mission first, and identify critical features that will streamline your overall workflow. At the end of your evaluation, keeping additional services top of mind will ensure that your transition goes smoothly, from start to finish.
If you think it’s time to streamline your online submission process or you’re interested in more ways to modernise your current workflow and review process, talk to one of our senior solutions specialists today who will guide you through the process to see if Submit is the right fit for you.